Healing Through Art: Art Therapy Houston
Hi, I'm Marian, and I'm a Houston based licensed art therapist as well as a clinical social worker. Do you feel overwhelmed by anxiety? Does your inner critic constantly push you to do more and be more with no relief in sight? Is the constant pursuit of perfection more exhausting than fulfilling? I understand, and I'm here to help.
I help high achievers navigate the challenges of anxiety, perfectionism, and self-esteem through a combination of art therapy counseling and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I assist clients in making the distinction between healthy striving and challenging unrealistic expectations with self-compassion.
So what exactly is art therapy? Art therapy is a unique form of counseling that combines traditional talk therapy with the creative process of art making.
If you're ready to start healing through art, schedule a complementary consultation call with me today.
My Approach As a Licensed Art Therapist
In our art therapy sessions, I provide a non-judgmental and supportive environment where you can explore your thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Together, through guided art directives and warm-ups, we can explore your perspectives, experiences, and insights surrounding meanings and messages within your artwork.
Here are some ways working with a licensed art therapist can help you:
1. Anxiety Reduction: Art therapy provides a safe space for you to express and process anxious thoughts and feelings that may be difficult to put into words. Through the use of different art techniques such as drawing, collage, and painting, we can explore the root causes of your anxiety and develop coping strategies.
2. Perfectionism Exploration: Perfectionism can be a double-edged sword that drives you to strive for excellence but also causes stress and self-criticism. Through creative exercises, you can learn to embrace your imperfections, celebrate progress, and cultivate self-compassion.
3. Emotional Expression: Through the use of different art materials, we can explore and process your emotions, and give them a tangible form that can be examined and understood from a new perspective.
4. Self-Exploration: Engaging in art-making can provide insights into your thoughts, beliefs, and patterns of behavior. This self-exploration can also lead to the development of healthier coping strategies.
5. Stress Relief and Relaxation: By immersing yourself in the creative process, you can find respite from the demands of everyday life. Art-making can also serve as a form of self-care and a valuable outlet for releasing tension and creating a sense of well-being.
If you're ready to embark on a transformative journey towards healing and personal growth, I invite you to reach out and schedule a free phone consultation to learn more. Together, we can harness the power of art therapy to help you overcome anxiety, navigate perfectionism, and create a more balanced self-image.
I would be happy to speak with you about how I may be able to help.
Art Therapy Houston FAQs
What are signs of low self-esteem?Low self-esteem can include negative self-talk, self-criticism, fear of failure, and a constant need for external validation. It can also lead to feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, and unhappiness.
How can therapy help me improve my self-esteem?Therapy can help you gain perspective by learning how to cultivate self-compassion, challenge negative self-talk, develop healthy boundaries, and build self-worth from within. In therapy, we will hone in on your strengths and identify specific activities that give you a confidence boost.
How can therapy help with anxiety?Therapy can create a safe and non-judgmental space to identify triggers, learn coping techniques, challenge negative thoughts, build resilience, and provide support and accountability. Don't let anxiety hold you back!
What is anxiety?Anxiety is a natural response to stress that signals to our brain and body that something might be going on that requires our attention. Anxiety often involves excessive worry, fear, and a sense of impending danger.
Can art therapy really help me?Art therapy is a form of counseling that combines traditional talk therapy with the creative process. Art therapy can help you gain insights into your thoughts and emotions, promote personal growth, and increase your self-awareness. Art therapy is also beneficial to people who find it challenging to express themselves verbally or who prefer alternative methods of communication.
I'm feeling nervous about starting art therapy sessions is it natural to feel this way?Feeling nervous or anxious about starting therapy no matter in what format, is entirely normal and natural. You have the freedom to share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with during our sessions. Remember, art therapy is a collaborative journey, and you set the pace.
Do I need to have artistic skills or prior experience in art to benefit from art therapy?Absolutely not! No artistic talent or experience is required. Art therapy is about engaging in the process of making art rather than creating a masterpiece. Art therapy is accessible and beneficial for people of all ages and artistic backgrounds.
How will therapy help me manage perfectionism?Therapy will not only assist you in exploring root causes of your perfectionism, but it can teach you how to challenge all or nothing thinking, develop self-compassion, set realistic expectations, and cultivate self-worth beyond achievements.
Having high standards has helped me to advance in my life. Why would I want to change this?There is nothing wrong with wanting to do well and having goals for yourself. However, people who struggle with perfectionism set unrealistically high standards for themself and sometimes others and when they are not successful their sense of worth and even self-esteem can plummet. It’s important to make sure you are setting realistic options for yourself.
Get help from a Licensed Art Therapist in Houston!
Life is short. Let me help you begin healing through art! Please schedule a free phone consultation to learn more.